Re: slice weirdness

From: Stijn Hoop <stijn_at_win.tue.nl>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:56:17 +0200
Resolution: it turns out to be related to the bootmanager I used to boot off
the primary slave ATA drive; or at least, if I tell it to virtually swap the
drives, the system boots (I still suspect something in the interaction though;
this is the first time in 5 years that Smart Bootmanager has let me down --
http://btmgr.sf.net/).

Now the problem is that although the boot works, something prevents me from
fdisking/relabeling ad0 -- I suspect something in GEOM gets confused by the
boot from 'ad0' which turns out to be 'ad1' when the FreeBSD ata driver looks
at things... *sigh*

I'm going to try fdisk/disklabel from a fixit floppy, and if that doesn't work
I'll just reinstall by hand from CD, onto an ad0/ad2 gvinum mirror (which was
the point of this frustrating exercise).

Thanks for thinking along with me :)

--Stijn

--
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure."