RE: Lock order reversal in 5.2-CURRENT

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 18:54:16 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Terrence Koeman wrote:

> I thought so too, because multiple weird errors usually point to the hardware.
>
> But I have three identical systems with the only difference being the contents
> of the disks. The other two systems are running 4.10-STABLE with heavy load
> without any problems. I swapped the disks (only the disks) with a working
> system twice now and it locks up just the same.

Lets see... whats the common factor there?  :-)  If the problem follows
the disks...

A whole group of machines having problems is not unheard of.  Sometimes
theres bad chip revs.  We have a big stack of Opterons at work that hang
on heavy network I/O while virtually identical boxes bought earlier in the
year work fine with the same software.  We're hashing it out with the
vendor right now.

> I think the chance of three systems having the same hardware problem is
> really small, especially because 4.10-STABLE hasn't had a single problem
> on those systems in the couple of months they run.
>
> Maybe 5.2-CURRENT has a specific problem with the hardware in the
> systems? But it's not like it is exotic hardware, they are SuperMicro 1U
> barebones with a Celeron 2600, 512MB of RAM and a FastTrak TX2000.

I'm not saying it isn't a but, particularly where -current is concerned,
but I don't think you've proved its _not_ hardware.