Re: HEADSUP: acpi mpsafe committed

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 08:52:03 -0700
> Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 23:35:48 -0700
> From: Nate Lawson <nate_at_root.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-acpi_at_freebsd.org
>
> Let me know if there are any problems.
>
> Thanks for testing:  Rong-En Fan <rafan.AT.infor.org>, Kevin Oberman
> <oberman.AT.es.net>, marcel.
>
> (And now the same to you! :)

Why do I see things right AFTER the commit? (O.K. I actually saw them
late last night, but was too tired to do any testing and am still in the
process of building kernels to do some real testing.)

Since I installed a kernel/modules with the mpsafe patches I have found
that P4_TCC and throttling no longer work. They worked with an unpatched
kernel/modules built on Wednesday and failed with the patched
kernel/modules I am now running. I have not updated the sources between
the two kernel builds, so I think it has to be the patches.

Now the admission of not knowing what I am doing. The P4 TCC stuff
appears to be very similar to the ACPI throttling capability. I suspect
that the latter simply controls the former, but I really don't know.

I guess that I really should have removed it when I was able to use ACPI
throttling, but I never removed it and it continued to work until last
night. When I went to battery, hw.p4tcc.cpuperf remained at 100 instead
of dropping to hw.p4tcc.cpuperf_economy. Similarly,
hw.acpi.cpu.thottle_state remains at 8 and hw.acpi.cw_lowest is at C1
instead of C2 or C3. economy_throttle_state is set to 4 and
economy_cx_lowest is at default (LOW).

Really takes down the old battery quickly!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)