Re: Enhanced SpeedStep driver available

From: Paulius Bulotas <paulius_at_devnull.lt>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:37:52 +0300
Hello,

On 04 08 16, Colin Percival wrote:
>   I've also put together a very simple control daemon which
> reads kern.cp_time every second and adjusts the cpu frequency
> based on the fraction of cpu time which is idle.  This increases
> my laptop's battery life by around 40%.

works with my T40 with Pentium M 1300MHz. Only I doubt it would increase
life on battery, since the lowest speed is 600MHz. And if I run on
battery all the time, it's always 600MHz. So, now it only raises speed
(which still is good, since it makes cpu intensive jobs run faster), but
how this could prolong battery life? In normal conditions on battery I
can work ~2 hours (and in Windows ~4, but I use them rarely). So now
probably less? Or this has to do something with voltage?

Paulius