Re: RFC: Alternate patch to have true new-style rc.d scripts in ports (without touching localpkg)

From: Shaun Jurrens <shaun.jurrens_at_ude.oslo.kommune.no>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:08:25 +0200
(written from the non-subscribing ranks)

Guys, while all of us appreciate the effort, leave the separation between
system and 3rd party packages alone.  For the less than 1% exceptions, we
don't need uncontrollable growth of / .  I know there's a lot of OS's that
do it, but it's not any better, and breaks a lot of the administration
simplicity that FreeBSD has to offer. (minimal installs with nfs /usr/local,
for example)

A class of ports that _has_ to have configs or startup scripts in /etc
could be made (I'm not volunteering, although I should, because I'll spend
the rest of my days cursing your existance with this move, just don't have
the time atm) and those could pop up in /etc/init.d/local (or whatever the
beast has to be called to be sufficiently different but the same as the rest
of the SysV world) or /etc/rc.d/local/  with hardlinks to whatever other
runlevels or degrees of order you need.

Really, I appreciate the effort at making it easier to stop and start all
services and to have a system of ordering and dependency as well as the
cooperation with other BSD's, but don't make it perfect at the cost of
breaking everything else.  You've done a great job, now quit while you're
ahead.

I'll leave the paint and brush ready for the next guy... hope he likes green.

--
Med vennlig hilsen/Sincerely,

Shaun D. Jurrens
Drift og Sikkerhetskonsulent
IKT-Avdeling
Oslo Utdanningsetaten

gpg key fingerprint: 007A B6BD 8B1B BAB9 C583  2D19 3A7F 4A3E F83E 84AE