Re: Migrating to X.org with portupgrade

From: kstewart <kstewart_at_owt.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:52:49 -0700
On Tuesday 17 August 2004 08:53 pm, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:54, kstewart wrote:
> > > # portupgrade -Rrav
> >
> > I have the understanding the the x-libraries are added statically. I did
> > the pkg_delete and then added xorg back in.  Lots of broken dependancies
>
> Not really sure what you mean by "added statically".
> The x.org libraries _should_ be called pretty much the same as the XFree
> ones (and indeed some of them HAVE to).

Static means they are included when you link. Most libraries are loaded
dynamic so that you change the library and the next time you execute, you get
the latest version. With static you have to re-link the programs that use the
library.

> I did the commands I listed, and logged out and logged back in and it
> worked fine.
>
> > The other problem I am having is with KDE. With xorg, KDE has lost track
> > of xdb, your keyboard and layouts. It got to the point on 4.10-stable
> > that all I could type in konsole showed up like "?? ??? ?" and etc. In
> > other utilities, they were all greek letters. I went back to XFree86 to
> > get thiapplicationsngs working again.
>
> Strange..
> Works fine here with KDE 3.2.3.

Go into the Control Center > Regional & accessibility > Keyboard layouts  and
see if you have anything. Mine is empty.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA