Re: Migrating to X.org with portupgrade

From: kstewart <kstewart_at_owt.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 23:36:58 -0700
On Tuesday 17 August 2004 11:27 pm, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:43, kstewart wrote:
> > One more point. When you build a new library, the only safe thing to do
> > is rebuild everything that uses that library. You don't know if they
> > changed an element of a structure or not. If they didn't and you rebuild
> > everything, all you did is lose some cpu time. If they modified
> > something, and you don't rebuild everything, then, you have introduced
> > the possiblity for massive offset errors that you won't know about until
> > someone breaks into your system.
>
> I am pretty sure that things like Xlib have quite a fixed ABI which means
> you shouldn't have to rebuild apps that use it.

I didn't know about that end :).

> The most likely outcome of a broken ABI is a coredump and I don't see any
> of those, all the applications I've tried work fine too.

Mine did to. Around that time they also made a number of changes to 3.2.3 and
changed the gcc compiler. There were a number of ports that had to be rebuilt
because of the upgrade in the gcc compiler. I think at some point, I just
rebuilt everything.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart