Re: Public Access to Perforce?

From: Chris BeHanna <chris_at_behanna.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:03:00 -0400
On Monday 16 August 2004 02:05, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 01:04:03AM -0400, Chris BeHanna wrote:
> >     Is there a read-only account that the general public could use?
>
> I think this is an excellent idea. Perhaps one should be set up.

    I wish.  OpenWatcom has guest Perforce access, for example.

> >     To alleviate load on perforce.freebsd.org, p4proxy could be set up
> > on the current cvsup mirrors.  I'd likely set up my own proxy server
> > on my home box, just to improve local response time (and ease setting
> > up a local vendor branch for playing around).
>
> Now I'm curious about doing this myself! It would certainly help on
> my laptop. I am lagging behind on -CURRENT at the moment.

    It is dirt simple to set up a p4proxy.  The disk space that is
required is constrained to the size of the master p4 repo, so that is
a consideration (this will likely be several GB).  Personally, I'd
donate to the maintainer of cvsup11 (the closest node to me) to
provide disk space for this if it became available.

    Atomic commits, always up-to-date.  *Wonderful*.  Even for
committers, it'd be great, because the proxies are write-through
(for accounts that have write access).

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)