bsdtar in ssh session...

From: John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j_at_resnet.uoregon.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:51:10 -0700
I found out recently that if you do something like:
ssh freebsdhostwbsdtar tar -cf - / > /dev/null

and then in the middle of the tar, hit ctrl-c, then bsdtar on the FreeBSD
host will not exit, instead it's parent will become init, and it will
continue on trying to create the archive...  It will ignore the EPIPE
error, assuming that the write was successful and continue on..

It appears that gtar is is seeing EPIPE and just loops hoping that write
will be successful in the future (which it never will be)...

Neither are good solutions....

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579