Re: Synaptics detected as Intellimouse - was Re: [PLEASE TEST] ...

From: Arne Schwabe <arne_at_rfc2549.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 03:28:57 +0200
Antal Rutz <arutz_at_mimoza.pantel.net> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 17, Antal Rutz wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 11, Philip Paeps wrote:
>> > Synaptics have 0c here.  I'm not aware of any Synaptics hardware responding
>> > differently to probes (though the specs might be a bit dated here and there, I
>> > wouldn't expect them to change something like that).

>> > Are you really sure it's a Synaptics?
>>
>> I've got an HP/compaq nx9005. My synaptics is also detected as
>> intellimouse (psm.c:1.77). I will build a kernel with PSM_DEBUG=2 during
>> the day. It worked before with unofficial out-of-cvs patches.
>>

> latest current with PSM_DEBUG=2 (still detected as intellimouse):

[debug output]

Okay, I think the problem is that  FreeBSD takes the first "mouse
type" found. Maybe you have a newer touchpad with has also some
intelli emulation (would be interesting to post your touchpad
version/capabilities if this patch works).
My first patches tried synaptics before the other mouse types.
Try the attached patch. Hope that helps.

Arne

--- psm.c       16 Aug 2004 20:19:09 -0000      1.78
+++ psm.c       19 Aug 2004 01:25:07 -0000
_at__at_ -315,6 +315,8 _at__at_
      * WARNING: the order of probe is very important.  Don't mess it
      * unless you know what you are doing.
      */
+    { MOUSE_MODEL_SYNAPTICS,           /* Synaptics Touchpad */
+      0xc0, MOUSE_SYNAPTICS_PACKETSIZE, enable_synaptics, },
     { MOUSE_MODEL_NET,                 /* Genius NetMouse */
       0x08, MOUSE_PS2INTELLI_PACKETSIZE, enable_gmouse, },
     { MOUSE_MODEL_NETSCROLL,           /* Genius NetScroll */
_at__at_ -335,8 +337,6 _at__at_
       0x80, MOUSE_PS2_PACKETSIZE, enable_kmouse, },
     { MOUSE_MODEL_VERSAPAD,            /* Interlink electronics VersaPad */
       0xe8, MOUSE_PS2VERSA_PACKETSIZE, enable_versapad, },
-    { MOUSE_MODEL_SYNAPTICS,           /* Synaptics Touchpad */
-      0xc0, MOUSE_SYNAPTICS_PACKETSIZE, enable_synaptics, },
     { MOUSE_MODEL_GENERIC,
       0xc0, MOUSE_PS2_PACKETSIZE, NULL, },
 };

--
compiling millions of tiny c-programs...done
checking for a working configure script... not found