Re: mem_range_attr_set undefined

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 01:46:03 -0600 (MDT)
In message: <Pine.NEB.3.96L.1040817105744.15966A-100000_at_fledge.watson.org>
            Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org> writes:
:
: On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Jason Andresen wrote:
:
: > >>kldload mem
: > >>kldload io (needed by xorg)
: > >>kldload nvidia -> failed (mem_range_attr_set undefined)
: > >>
: > >>I had to compile 'device mem' into kernel
: > >>
: > >>note 1: I did not try loading mem at the boot loader stage
: > >>note 2: I did not try the new release of nvidia driver
: > >
: > >The mem kld will need to explicitly symbols required by other modules
: > >using the EXPORT_SYMS line in its Makefile.  So try adding:
: > >
: > >  EXPORT_SYMS=	mem_range_attr_set
: > >
: > >to the module Makefile for mem, rebuilding, reloading, and adding
: > >additional symbols until it works?
: >
: > Sure, I can try this.  Where is the Makefile for the mem device?
:
: You can find the Makefile for the mem module in src/sys/modules/mem.  You
: might want to look at some of the other module Makefiles in related
: directories for examples of EXPORT_SYMBOLS use.

Alternatively, you could just depend on the mem module and not worry
about EXPORT_SYMBOLS (which is supposed to be more the exception case
than the standard SOP).  Most of the other inter module dependencies
are done this way, and this allows one to have weak versioning to
boot.

Warner