Re: Enhanced SpeedStep driver available

From: Toxa <postfix_at_senmail.ru>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:29:31 +0400
On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 08:21:41AM +0200, Patrick Hurrelmann wrote:

> Pentium 4 M is the mobile version of a Pentium 4 and capable of speed step.
> Pentium M is a complete new processor and not a mobile version of any other. Indeed it is based on the Pentium 3 layout (but only based ;) ).

> Centrino is no processor at all. Centrino is the name for a hardware bundle:
>  - Intel Pentium M (no Pentium 4!)
>  - Intel Chipset (with or without onboard graphic)
>  - Intel Wireless-LAN adapter

> If one of this partsis missing on a system it must not be called Centrino (that's Intel politics).

Thanks for clearing it out for us all, but the fact is that Pentium
4 M (not Pentium M from Centrino "toolkit") is capable of SpeedStep
(Not Enhanced SpeedStep, right?). But freebsd lacks of speedstep support
(AFAIK, hw.acpi.cpu_throttle_state plays only with processor C-states,
which are not SpeedStep),  so I'm womdering if est.ko would do
something with Pentium 4 M processors.

--
Anton A. Karpov

PGP key:  http://www.toxahost.org/pgp/pubkey.asc
You can finger me _at_toxahost.org for my current status

Hi! I am a .signature virus!
Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!