Re: Extending cdboot with options "Press any key to boot from CD" prompt

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:53:05 -0400
On Thursday 19 August 2004 10:08 am, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please review/comment on attached patch, which extends cdboot with
> "Press any key to boot from CD" prompt inspired by Windows installation
> CDs. IMHO this feature is quite useful for installation CDs, and
> probably for other interactive one-shot CDs, to prevent machine from
> booting off CD again after work is complete. If there is no objections,
> I'd like to request repo copy from cdboot.s into cdboot.S and then
> commit this change. My plan is to keep this feature turned off by
> default, and provide make(1) knob to turn it one if necessary.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Maxim

Only thing I would change is to not use suffixes when they aren't necessary
since that is the style of the rest of the file.  That is, use 'xor %ah,%ah'
rather than 'xorb %ah,%ah'.  as(1) doesn't need them and the code is easier
to read when the mnemnomics are less jagged.  Also, if you wanted to get extra
cute you would output a '.' each second during the countdown like Windows
does. :)