Re: RELENG_5 kernel b0rken with IPFIREWALL and without PFIL_HOOKS

From: Jonathan T. Sage <sagejona_at_theatre.msu.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 12:18:56 -0400
Barney Wolff wrote:

> Sure, invoking ipfw directly works fine when ipfw's compiled into the kernel,
> as does dotting /etc/rc.firewall.  But /etc/rc.d/ipfw is what's run at
> boot time, and that would seem, at least as I read it, to require that
> ipfw be a module, not compiled in.

no, it dosn't, kinda.

         if ! ${SYSCTL} net.inet.ip.fw.enable > /dev/null 2>&1; then

if the sysctl item net.inet.ip.fw.enable does NOT exist, then try and
load the module.  otherwise, return 0 (all ok)

                 if ! kldload ipfw; then
                         warn unable to load firewall module.
                         return 1
                 fi
         fi

it is failing because the net.inet.ip.fw.enable sysctl was removed.  the
script needs to be updated to rely on one of the still existing sysctls.
  as of right now, with no edits, the script cannot complete succesfully
unless ipfw is left as a module.  No doubt this will be fixed shortly.

--
Jonathan T. Sage
Theatrical Lighting / Set Designer

"He said he likes me, but he's not in-like with me."- Connie, King of
the Hill

[HTTP://www.JTSage.com]
[HTTP://design.JTSage.com]
[sagejona_at_msu.edu]