Re: Extending cdboot with options "Press any key to boot from CD" prompt

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida_at_linux.gr>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 14:45:20 +0300
On 2004-08-20 14:56, Sergey Mokryshev <mokr_at_mokr.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> >
> >Please review/comment on attached patch, which extends cdboot with
> >"Press any key to boot from CD" prompt inspired by Windows
> >installation CDs. IMHO this feature is quite useful for installation
> >CDs, and probably for other interactive one-shot CDs, to prevent
> >machine from booting off CD again after work is complete. If there is
> >no objections, I'd like to request repo copy from cdboot.s into
> >cdboot.S and then commit this change. My plan is to keep this feature
> >turned off by default, and provide make(1) knob to turn it one if
> >necessary.
>
> Windows 2000 and later checks for an active partition on HDD first, and
> display this message if none found.
>
> Is it hard to implement?

This is a dangerous place where you'te treading young hobbit!

Whatever you do, wherever you do it, please don't remove the ability to
boot from partitions that are not active.  The stubbornness of stupid
Windows bootloaders that refuse to boot if their partition is not active
or if any other partition is active too is something we don't want to
emulate too, right?

I actually like the way our loaders are "active partition"-agnostic.