Re: bsdtar core dumps

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:56:20 -0700
Maxim Konovalov wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004, 10:19-0700, Tim Kientzle wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>The code you've pointed to above concerns
>>me because of the part about:
>>if (n == 0) {
>>n = 1;
>>    }
>>That ain't right:  If I told vsnprintf the buffer
>>size was zero, it should treat it as such.  If I
>>meant "one", I would have said "one."
>
> That code was committed in rev. 1.21 vsnprintf.c, a workaround for a
> memory leak, bin/36175.

Ahh... I see now.  Apparently, I've either had too
much caffeine or not enough.  I'll try to adjust that. ;-)

But the code in vsnprintf.c is correct.  The n=1
is the size of the stack-allocated temp buffer, not the
user buffer.  That makes Sean's idea of something
Alpha-specific seem more likely.

Sean, could you take a look at this bug report:

Try running the program there under "How To Repeat"
and tell us what happens.  That should shed some
light on the subject.

In the meantime, do try the patch I sent you earlier.
At the very least, I'd like to get bsdtar to stop
dumping core on you.

Tim Kientzle