Re: Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode

From: Kevin Brunelle <kruptos_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:15:34 -0400
> If this is how I got most of my panics, this little script running in
> two different xterms helped decrease the time to panic.  It got my
> system to panic a lot with the older nvidia drivers.

[script trimmed out]

> This always helped get my system unstable on 4-STABLE rather quickly.  I
> think it was the issue of running two or more GL programs at the same
> time that caused or increased the problem.

lol, I might try that.  Although I really don't need to go that far.
Lately, I have been able to spontaniously reboot by running five GL
applications at once.  Which isn't pleasant but doesn't concern me too
much.  Each time I've had a panic there has been only one gl application
running... and lately all GL programs are causing this issue.

> Are you using the latest nvidia drivers?

As a matter of fact, that is what I think caused the problem.  I just
upgraded to the latest drivers on the 19th... right before I had these
problems.  That combined with the fact that all of these issues can be
consistently caused by running gl programs gives me strong cause to
suspect it.

> You should not be mixing the FreeBSD AGP and the nvidia AGP together.
> Choose one or the other.

Yes, I suspect this might be part of the issue.  I don't remember seeing
this message before the new driver was installed.  But I do know that
the old kernel had it loaded (it was hard coded with the configuration
file).  I think the driver might have changed the way it handled the
presence of both AGPs.

> I have my own panic on 4-STABLE which I just reported in freebsd-stable:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2004-August/008530.html
> Would you like to trade?  :)

lol, I would love to... if I thought I could help.  But I am still
learning as much as I can about the kernel... nowhere near the level
required to help.

Kevin
--
"Down with disease, up before the dawn.
A thousand barefoot children, dancin? on my lawn"