Re: Poor results of network perfomance with 5.2.1-p9.

From: Infomatik <info_at_matik.com.br>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:10:36 -0300
I am not so sure if your test is giving any usable result for FreeBSD.

It seems you are using some wireless equipment between both servers what means
that the throuput depends on this APs first.
Any correctly cabled 10/100 NIC should give higher throughput than any
available 802.11b network equipment.
Even if you have a clean radio connection (> 25Db SNR on each side) between
both APs, low(est) noise and a PP correctly configured you never get full
duplex , one direction ever is slower. Also it depends on the distance
between both points I believe.
There are also several issues with the wireless equipments, may be you never
get some usable cicles from an AP when it is highly used by another
connection already.

May be you first check your radio connection and before running a test between
both server you check pinging the remote AP (even flooding) to see how
capable your radio is. I guess you never get more than 1-1.5MB/s
bi-directional between both servers. You may get sustained transfer rates of
3-6MB/s in one direction only but I do not know this APs enough to say it
exactly.

If you need higher traffic you should use Tsunami WL-PP-bridges or 802.11a/b/g
cards configured as adhoc instead of this cheap APs connected to your NICs