Re: devfs rules not applied on reattach

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:31:38 +0200
Anish Mistry <mistry.7_at_osu.edu> writes:
> Not sure if this is a bug or not, but my understanding of device rules that
> are placed in /etc/devfs.conf are supposed to be applied when a device is
> attached. ie.
> perm da0  0666
> perm da0s1 0666
> perm da1  0666
> perm da1s1 0666
> perm da2  0666
> perm da2s1 0666
> perm da3  0666
> perm da3s1 0666

/etc/devfs.conf is only applied at boot and is mostly useless.

What you really want is to put something like the following in
/etc/devfs.rules:

> [system=10]
> add path 'da*' mode 0660

(see devfs(8) for details about the syntax)

and add the following line to /etc/rc.conf:

> devfs_system_ruleset="system"

Someone[tm] should document this somewhere.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no