Re: problems during upgrade to RELENG_5

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:55:35 +0300
On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 06:48:55PM +0200, Harti Brandt wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> RE>> The problem seems to be that it is running an old gensnmptree from
> RE>> /usr/bin although it should build and run a new one. Can you tell me what
> RE>> is the __FreeBSD_version in /usr/include/osreldate.h on the system you are
> RE>> trying to upgrade?
> RE>>
> RE>Harti, nothing to worry about, you can safely close PR.  This is what
> RE>happens when people do "make includes" without understanding that it
> RE>will ruin their build environment.  ``make buildworld OSRELDATE=0''
> RE>usually helps these pour souls.  ;)
>
> Ok. I was now half an hour thinking about the versions. It was my fault
> that I did not bump the FreeBSD_version then, so the actual commit of the
> gensnmptree is between two version bumps. I choose the later one for the
> check in Makefile.inc1 and think this should be safe.

It should be okay, and I thought we already fixed this in Makefile.inc1 by
using the correct __FreeBSD_version check.  Ask for the

``ls -l /usr/include/osreldate.h /usr/bin/gensnmptree''

output when diagnosing the problem -- like I said, chances are good that
people fooled their build environment to think it's more fresh than is
actually.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov