Re: Upgrade to 5.3-BETA1: make installkernel - Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules

From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 13:34:28 -0400
Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
[ ...using NFS to share /usr/src and /usr/obj... ]
> I forgot to mention what we *do* support.  We support NFS
> mounting remote /, /usr, and /var partitions, and doing an
> installworld/installkernel with DESTDIR pointing to NFS
> mounts.  This will result in missing file flags (NFS does
> not support them), but otherwise it's what we actually
> support: host doing build is the host doing an install.

I've been updating a half-dozen or so 4.x machines using NFS-mounted /usr/src
and /usr/obj since 4.1 or so.  I'd much prefer to help get NFS-distributed
builds supported again than help change the Handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/small-lan.html

--
-Chuck