5.3-BETA1 hard lockups (HP DL380 G3)

From: Chris Dillon <cdillon_at_wolves.k12.mo.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 00:13:35 -0500 (CDT)
Anybody else experiencing hard lockups with a recent 5.3-BETA?  I can
manage to build and install a kernel if I hold my breath while doing
it, but I can't make it through a buildworld without the system
locking up hard enough to require a manual reset (thank goodness for
iLO and its virtual reset button :-).

The hardware I'm working on is a HP Proliant DL380 G3, with dual
2.8GHz Xeons, 2GB RAM, and using the on-board SmartArray 5i+
controller with six 72GB 10KRPM disks in a RAID5 configuration.
Everything worked fine at first, even went through a few
kernels+worlds and plenty of port builds over the last month, but
within the last week or so these hard lockups started happening during
kernel/world builds (probably any moderate load would do).  I thought
maybe something might have gone wrong with the hardware so I ran the
HP Diagnostics on it for 24 hours in a continuous loop and everything
went fine.  Any clues?

--
  Chris Dillon - cdillon(at)wolves.k12.mo.us
  FreeBSD: The fastest, most open, and most stable OS on the planet

A: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?