Re: bsdtar eats CPU when extracting POSIX tar archive

From: Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama_at_imgsrc.co.jp>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:45:27 +0900
At Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:35:57 -0700,
Tim Kientzle wrote:
> I pulled the current distfile for the vtun port,
> and it's definitely a GNU format archive, so I
> wasn't able to easily reproduce your problem.
>
> I'm suspicious that all of the time being used is
> system time.  Could you try to find out which
> system calls are taking so long:
>
>    ktrace tar xf /var/tmp/vtun-2.6.tar
>    kdump -R -m 16
>
> That might shed some light on matters.

Thank you for your investigation.  This problem is happened on my dual
P-III box, but I cannot reproduce it on another P4 box.  I'll try what
is different on them.

http://www.imgsrc.co.jp/~kuriyama/tmp/20040826-tar-kdump.log.gz

Looks kqueue related?

--
Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama_at_imgsrc.co.jp> // IMG SRC, Inc.
             <kuriyama_at_FreeBSD.org> // FreeBSD Project