Re: 5.3-Beta1: So far, so goo. Day 5.

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida_at_ceid.upatras.gr>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 23:33:13 +0300
On 2004-08-25 17:07, Gary Kline <kline_at_tao.thought.org> wrote:

> 	But Q1:  how exactly, does one get rid of the debugging stuff?

You can disable most of the debugging stuff with:

	# /bin/rm -fr /etc/malloc.conf
	# ln -s ajr /etc/malloc.conf

and then commenting our or deleting the following options from your
kernel config file:

%%%
makeoptions	DEBUG=-g		# Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols
options 	KDB			# Enable kernel debugger support.
options 	DDB			# Support DDB.
options 	GDB			# Support remote GDB.
options 	INVARIANTS		# Enable calls of extra sanity checking
options 	INVARIANT_SUPPORT	# Extra sanity checks of internal structures, required by INVARIANTS
options 	WITNESS			# Enable checks to detect deadlocks and cycles
options 	WITNESS_SKIPSPIN	# Don't run witness on spinlocks for speed
%%%

Disabling all of these is certainly going to yield a faster system.

> 	And Q2, now that we've got gcc-3.4, would it help to use a higher
> 	opyimization? say, "-O3"?   ....

I'm not sure if the speed gain is significant and worth the risk.
I still use the same make.conf settings, shown below:

	NO_CPU_CFLAGS=  true    # Don't add -march=<cpu> to CFLAGS automatically
	NO_CPU_COPTFLAGS=true   # Don't add -march=<cpu> to COPTFLAGS automatically

and I have commented out the CFLAGS and COPTFLAGS, the same way I did a
year ago and two years ago, etc.