Re: Re[2]: Wine and mmap

From: John Birrell <jb_at_cimlogic.com.au>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:36:12 +1000
On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 07:05:02PM -0400, Brian Fundakowski Feldman wrote:
> Can you be certain that 100% of kernel changes to support WINE are present
> after fixing mmap?  I heard WINE was still broken, so I haven't bothered
> trying.

I think that 100% of the kernel memory changes required to support
Wine are related to mmap. Wine successfully maps the address space it
wants before dlopen'ing shared libraries. It's the kernel's choice of
map address that fails.

There is at least one problem with Wine using libpthread. Whether that relates
to kernel or user-space code remains to be seen. I think the thread problem
is a separate issue.

FWIW, I see no hurry in changing the mmap address allocation in CVS. This
issue has been around for months and *very* few people have commented. The
other BSD's are in the same boat.

I intend to test the patch written by Anish and move on to the next Wine
problem 'when I get a chance' (TM). When Wine works again, albeit with a few
patches, then it will be time to find an implementation that people find
palatable. I thought that raising the issue on -arch like I did would have
at least got some response (even a single reply). Linux chooses random mmap
addresses for good reason. It would seem sensible to do that in FreeBSD too
(for the same reason).

--
John Birrell