Re: No more floppy drive

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 22:56:58 +0300
On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 05:15:23PM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <412D1CE6.3050603_at_root.org>
>             Nate Lawson <nate_at_root.org> writes:
> : M. Warner Losh wrote:
> : > In message: <20040825222345.GB79209_at_ip.net.ua>
> : >             Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_freebsd.org> writes:
> : > : On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 04:17:33PM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> : > : > Generally one doesn't want ANY hints when one has pnpisabios or acpi
> : > : > supplying the hints, unless one really does have an exceptional device
> : > : > at that location.
> : > : >
> : > : A lot of current_at_ users report missing /dev/fd0 due to this.  Can this
> : > : be fixed somehow?
> : >
> : > acpi should be providing these hints, but it appears that either that
> : > code isn't working, hasn't been committed or there's no fallback to
> : > more traditional methods when there's no information about fd drives.
> : > This is one of the twistiest, nastiest, ugliest part of PCAT :-(
> :
> : The code I added merely does:
> :
> : if (_FDE working)
> :      add fd[0-2] children accordingly
> :      if (fdX._FDI working)
> :          set type on fdX
> : else
> :      unmodified hints probe for fd[0-2]
> :
> : if (fdX type not set)
> :      unmodified drive type probe via rtc
> :
> : Since the probe is unmodified if _FDE is not present, I can't see a new
> : problem here.  If this is a new problem, it must be elsewhere.
>
> I'll take a look at things.  I think it may have to do with
> presence/absence things.

Update.  I tried to experiment a bit more today, and with ACPI,
I cannot get fdc(4) working, with or without fdc hints in
/boot/device.hints.  So the only way to get my floppy working
at the moment is: without ACPI and without hint.fdc.0. hints
in /device.hints.

Attached are verbose boot outputs without and with ACPI.

Like I mentioned, with ACPI I'm also getting interrupt storms.

Also, Warner, as you probably remember, I have to use the
following on my notebook:

hw.cbb.start_memory=0xd8000

Previously, without this tunable, my PCCARDs just were not
properly attached.  Now if I remove this line, the kernel
panics at boot.  Let me know if you're interested in the
panic details.  Also, could you remind me what this tunable
does?

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov