It appears that ACPI and the nVidia nForce3 chipset just don't get along

From: Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads_at_cox.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 17:28:56 -0500
Upgraded my system this Friday just past, and ran for a while with ACPI
enabled.  Sure enough, sound broke again, just as before.

Rebooted with ACPI disabled, and have had my MP3 jukebox running
continuously now for two days with no problems.

It definitely appears that ACPI and the nVidia nForce3 chipset just
don't get along for some reason.

If anyone would like to see the verbose output from a boot with ACPI
enabled, just holler.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads_at_cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"