Re: Public Access to Perforce?

From: Brad Knowles <brad_at_stop.mail-abuse.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:15:33 +0200
At 10:05 AM +0100 2004-08-30, Doug Rabson quoted David O'Brien:

>>                        For what the project uses Perforce for, SVN
>>  would offer nothing.
>
>  True. That doesn't mean that subversion isn't better than CVS though.

	That's not the point.  The point is that subversion is not better
than Perforce, at least for the functions for which the FreeBSD
project uses Perforce.

	The debate is not between Perforce vs. CVS or subversion vs. CVS,
but whether subversion or Perforce is a better replacement for CVS
for certain specific functions.  This is a debate that can only
reasonably occur between people who actually understand both
alternative tools to a sufficient degree.

	I think that the point being made by David O'Brien was that there
were a lot of people standing up and being indignant about the way
subversion was being treated in this discussion but then saying that
they didn't know how it compared to Perforce.  This is
counter-productive, to say the least.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad_at_stop.mail-abuse.org>

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755