Re: sysutils/strace wilderness on 6-CURRENT

From: Dan Nelson <dnelson_at_allantgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:14:37 -0500
In the last episode (Aug 31), Vladimir Grebenschikov said:
> (fresh -CURREMT and fresh strace from ports, UP machine)
>
> It silmple does nothing - sleeps foreaver in suspended:
>
> # strace /bin/ls
> ^T
> load: 0.14  cmd: strace 98957 [suspended] 0.00u 0.00s 0% 760k
> ^C
> #

This has happened on 5.x for ages.  The quick fix is to ^Z, then fg, or
kill -CONT the hung strace process from another vty.  I don't know what
strace does different from truss that makes it hang.  Nowadays, truss
does almost as good a job as strace, so I don't use it as often as I
used to.  The only thing I miss is strace's ability to print the name
of blocking syscalls (read or sleep for example) as it waits.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson_at_allantgroup.com