5.3 Beta2 bridging (update)

From: Dave McCammon <davemac11_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:52:49 -0700 (PDT)
original message with (syctl variables, ipfw output
and dmesg)

http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?20040826204237.44644.qmail

Test:
move cable from ip'd port to non-ip'd port
and ping known address.

ip'd port = em0
non ip'd port = em1

cvsupped sources today and rebuilt world and kernel
installed kernel
rebooted and installed world and mergemastered.

ng_bridge now works...but i need ipfw to filter
per interface and, by the man page, ng_bridge and ipfw
don't play together like that yet.
So, I need to use bridge(4) and that still doesn't
work.

What I have found is I can ping the ip'd port(em0)
when the cable is plugged into the non-ip'd port(em1)
but cannot ping out em1 to other machines.

tcpdump -i em1 shows broadcast packets from other
machines but no ping packets during the above ping
"out" attempt.

I attempted to force 100baseTX full-duplex instead of
auto-negotiate but it didn't work. (I thought maybe
something is quirky with the em driver and the
switch.)

Any help or tips is greatly appreciated.