Re: Got rid of my SiI3112A

From: Søren Schmidt <sos_at_DeepCore.dk>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:24:34 +0100
Michael W. Lucas wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 10:40:41PM +0100, Daniel Eriksson wrote:
>
>>Frode Nordahl wrote:
>>

>>>But as things are today, I think it would be best to remove
>>>support for
>>>SiI3112A. Especially since the general attitude towards it is
>>>"it's too
>>>broke, we don't want to waste any more time on it".
>>>
>>>Attempting to use it in a 5.3-RELEASE or 6-CURRENT system will most
>>>likelly make your system crash and burn, and make your data
>>>unrecoverable beyond repair.
>>
>>I will have to agree with Frode on this one. I recently put -CURRENT on a
>>machine with an ASUS mobo that had a SiL 3112 controller. Hooking up two
>>250GB WD discs to it quickly resulted in timeouts, followed by some strange
>>messages from geom_stripe (used it to stripe the two discs), followed by
>>filesystem corruption and panics.
>

> Does anyone know if Soren has one of these controllers?
>
> Getting him a poorly-supported controller is the first step towards
> getting it fixed.

I do have a couble of them actually, both the first revision thats
*real* bad, and the second which is a hair better...

Needless to say they both work in all my notherboards and with all my
SATA disks, alas with the expect occasional timeout and retry...

However, I dont have any real crappy HW around, I dont/wont waste my
money on that, so that might explain why :)
--

-Søren