Re: smbfs and setuid in 5.3

From: Wiktor Niesiobedzki <bsd_at_w.evip.pl>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 22:48:10 +0100
On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 02:28:37PM -0600, animecowboy_at_animecowboy.com wrote:
> > Try to use the -u and -g switches to mount_smbfs to specify the user
> > that should access the mounted file system.
> >
> > harti
> >

> The base directory was already set to the user/group I wanted, makeing the
> defaults to -u -g what I wanted.  So as an experiement I set the base dir to
> root:wheel, and used the -u -g attribs.

I can easily reproduce that:
Amnesiac# mkdir /testmount
Amnesiac# chown w /testmount
Amnesiac# chmod 700 /testmount
Amnesiac# mount_smbfs //w_at_portal/share /testmount
Password:
Amnesiac# ls /testmount
.snap   bea     oracle
Amnesiac# ls /testmount/.snap
Amnesiac# su - w
w_at_Amnesiac:~$ ls /testmount
ls: testmount: Permission denied
w_at_Amnesiac:~$

I think that smbfs is the only FS that does not change the mountpoint access
mode, what may I expose a more global problem. But quickly scanning the
sourcecode, I still cannot find the source of the problem.

And one question arising:
w_at_Amnesiac:~$ kdump| grep -c NAMI
11
w_at_Amnesiac:~$ ktrace -t n  ls /testmount >/dev/null 2>/dev/null
w_at_Amnesiac:~$ kdump| grep -c NAMI
18

Where from this change of calls to NAMI stems? The second output has follwing
lines more (at the end of execution):
  1750 ls       NAMI  "/etc/malloc.conf"
  1750 ls       NAMI  "/testmount"
  1750 ls       NAMI  "."