Re: My project wish-list for the next 12 months

From: Marcel Moolenaar <marcel_at_xcllnt.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 16:29:39 -0800
On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 03:02:40PM -0700, Scott Long wrote:

> 1.  Keyboard multiplexer.

I actually fail to stop thinking about a complete syscons and pcvt
replacement. You know, the one and only console implementation that
makes all others obsolete. Big plans, little time, yada yada yada...

> 2.  New installer.

It may actually be interesting to see if we can make an expert
system for this. When I think about implementing an installer (alas
I've been doing that), I'm not so much interested in how things are
packaged, or how it looks but rather what needs to be done, when and
how all these actions relate and interact with each other. This is
especially tricky when actions are triggered by the current
configuration of the machine onto which one tries to install. Knowing
all the possible activities and their dependencies should help
establish a control flow through the installation process in such a
way that users get asked only those questions that are relevent and
also when it matters. One puts a UI on top of this to get a nice
looking installer. At least, that's how I look at it...

--
 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel_at_xcllnt.net