Re: My project wish-list for the next 12 months

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 11:33:40 +0100
In message <41AE3F80.1000506_at_freebsd.org>, Scott Long writes:
>All,
>
>I know that I said last month that we were going to stop promising
>specific features for the next major release.  However, I'd like to
>throw out a list of things that would be really nice to have in the
>future, whether its 6.0 or 7.0 or whatever.
>[...]
>1.  Keyboard multiplexer.  [...]
>2.  New installer.  [...]
>3.  Native PCI Express support.  [...]
>4.  Journaled filesystem.  [...]
>5.  Clustered FS support.  [...]
>6.  Overhaul CAM, add iSCSI.  [...]

I agree on all of the above but I think we also need to have things
on the list that doesn't take super hackers, and architectural
reviews.

So let us add the following points which I think are just as, if
not more important for FreeBSDs future:

7. More people writing FreeBSD related articles for online and
   traditional media.

   If you have never written a piece about FreeBSD, how about sending
   something to your local IT trade rag ?   Heck, even your local
   paper will probably run it if you send them a piece.

8. More people stomping for FreeBSD in universities and schools.

   Have you actually offered the science/IT teachers at the local
   hi-school to pop around and give a lesson on this open source
   phenomena to their pupils ?

   Or call your local college and ask if they need a teaching
   assistant for their evening courses in IT ?

9. A band of happy 1st line reponders dealing with PRs etc.

   We're getting better at this, but one way to really gain users
   is to help them when they need it most: right when they begin.

10. A more dynamic and interesting www.freebsd.org frontpage.

    Come on, at least we should be able to beat the "Congressional
    Record" when it comes to being interesting.

11. More people attending BSDcon conferences.

    Come to BSDcan2005! come to the next EuroBSDcon or AsiaBSDcon.

    Or make your own mini conference!

    Many Linux User groups would welcome you if you offered to give
    a talk about FreeBSD on one of their evenings.

12. Research/Coding grants (3/6/12 months) from the FreeBSD Foundation
    and other deep(er) pockets to help some of the heavy lifting happen.

    We're not only in it for the money, but money surely helps.

And I'd like to stress that none of the above requires you to get
permission from the core team, just go out and do it!