6.0-current and USB modem problem

From: Andrew Jones <chaosasj_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 22:13:55 -0500
After cvsuping to current and then building the world with a new kernel
and everything, I found that no matter what I did, the usb modem using
ucom0 didn't work; it would hang with trying to dial out (it would say
'working in whatever mode' then hang). After reading commit logs and the
updating file, I changed the device name in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf to the new
one (cuau0) with no avail.

Anybody know why this is happening and/or how to fix it?