installing 5.3 on Promise FastTrack 378 and Intel raid controllers

From: Cristóvão Dalla Costa <cbraga_at_smsweb.com.br>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 00:23:43 -0200
Hello

We got a new P4 server today with an Asus PC-DL deluxe motherboard w/
Intel 875P chipset which we were disappointed to find sucks with
respect to the RAID controllers.

We managed to boot the FreeBSD installation using floppies, and when we
get to the partitioning screen we are shown 5 disks, while we actually
only have four (4 serial ata 120 GB drives). We configured two in raid-1
and two in raid-0 in each of the raid controllers, and all disks that
appear in the setup are 120 GB while we were expecting to find a 240 GB
one corresponding to the raid-0 setup.

We already found out the so-called raid controllers are fakes which
require the operating system to  do the work, what I'd like to know is
if there's a way to install and boot FreeBSD in raid mode or if I'll
have to just install it normally and use vinum, or even throw this junk
MB out the window and get a new one, or a separate raid controller.

I've found a couple other messages on the list archive mentioning this
controller so I thought someone mught have a few pointers.

Thanks in advance,

Cristóvão Dalla Costa