HEADSUP: ath updates

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_errno.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 11:09:43 -0800
I just committed updates for the ath driver and the ath hal.  There are many
changes to this code including a split of the tx rate control algorithm into
a separate module.  This means that when statically configuring the driver
you now need to specify:

device	ath
device	ath_hal
device	ath_rate_onoe

to get the previous functionality (i.e. the previous rate control algorithm).
There is a second rate control algorithm that is slightly different from the
onoe algorithm; you can try that with

device	ath_rate_amrr

However both of these algorithms are still rather lame and a good algorithm is
needed.  I encourage folks to step up and work on this as a good tx rate
control algorithm makes all the difference.

The new hal should support all shipping Atheros parts.  Operation should be
noticeably better and the driver supports all the functionality of the
revised net80211 layer.  This includes the security protocols (WPA, 802.11i,
802.1x), the QoS/Multi-media protocols (WME/WMM), and more.

One problem to beware of is that WME and WPA currently do not work together
(for AP operation at least).  If you want to test out WPA be sure to disable
wme--this will require the new ifconfig that I'll be committing shortly.

There's still a bunch of work to do on the driver.  I'll be working fulltime
on this stuff for the next few months; mainly on AP support.

	Sam