dc(4) oddity

From: Ryan Sommers <ryans_at_gamersimpact.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 21:40:43 -0700 (MST)
Since about two days ago a box had been spewing:

dc0: watchdog timeout

every 10-15 seconds. Network connectivity was nonexistant. I tried
down/uping the device, reboots, network plug, anything I could think of.
Nothing helped. And this box has been running since

FreeBSD 6.0-CURRENT #6: Tue Sep 28 16:48:13 CDT 2004

without problems. Not constantly, it goes up in the morning and down at
night. Switch lights were active the during the whole 'scrolling timeout'
period. I was about ready to call it a bad network card when all of a
sudden I switched the KVM back over to it and I see

dc0: failed to force tx and rx to idle state

as the last message on the console. No scrolling watchdog timeouts.
Interesting I thought. I down'ed the interface and brought it back up and
tried pinging the router. Success. So, after about 36 hours of watchdog
timeouts it came back to life.

Any idea what this might be?

--
Ryan Sommers