TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA

From: Zsolt Kúti <kutizs_at_axelero.hu>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 18:39:11 +0100
Hello,

My system produces these messages that I already know well from this
list (as well ;):
ad4: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (2 retries left) LBA=213249674

I would like to report my experiences with 5.3 RELEASE/STABLE/B7

After these messages the two former cases  result in FAILURE and finally
in panic. Even background fsck cannot run without another panic, only
single user mode can help. All these prevent using them on my HW.
However B7, although displays the messages as well, works seemingly
fine. For the time being this version is sufficent, but I'd like to
know - if possible at all - what  the difference could be between the
versions and if one can expect to bring the actual 5.3 version's
state to B7's in this respect?

Further to this, the different versions display the behavior of
relatively frequently (many time in an hour?) stalling their
responsivity for some seconds. Most of the times no message can be seen
on the consol after this. It is also more rare on B7.

I also found that pendrive's sensing by 5.3 RELEASE/STABLE more
frequently results in panic than B7's. (As a matter of fact I have not
seen it with B7 for weeks since I installed it.)

I use the following either with GENERIC or custom kernel:
Abit NF7-S (nVidia chipsets, SiI3112 on board), Athlon 2600+,
Samsung 120G SATA,  LEXAR MEDIA JUMPDRIVE, rev 1.10/0.01

Please cc it to me as well, since I'am not on the list for the time
being.
Many thanks!

Zsolt

Zsolt Kuti