Re: Can't see BSS ID on if_ndis

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_errno.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:17:18 -0800
Daniel O'Connor wrote:

>Hi,
>1.73 of if_ndis.c works which is the good news :)
>
>However I don't see which BSSID I'm associated with using wicontrol -L..
>[inchoate 15:50] ~ >sudo wicontrol -i ndis0 -L

wicontrol is now completely deprecated unless you want to look at
something like the nic serial number.  Every other function is available
in ifconfig.  At some point I want to remove wicontrol (and other tools)
and place the device-specific functionality in ifconfig
extensions/plugins (e.g. for loading firmware).  This would permit us to
nuke all the ioctl compatibility code unless it's needed/fdesired for
3rd party apps like dstumbler.  Ideally these apps will move to the new
ioctls because they are better (simpler to use, return more information,
and provide more direct control over the device).

>TX encryption key:                      [ 0 ]
>Encryption keys:                        [  ][  ][  ][  ]
>Available APs:
>1 station:
>SSID                        BSSID         Chan     SN  S  N  Intrvl Capinfo
>citilan           [ 00:00:00:00:00:00 ]  [ 4  ]  [  0  0  0 ]    0
>                  [ 11b 5b 2b 1b 5.5b ]
>
>Neither does ifconfig..
>[inchoate 15:51] ~ >ifconfig -v ndis0 list scan
>SSID            BSSID              CHAN RATE  S:N   INT CAPS
>citilan         00:00:00:00:00:00    4   11M  0:0     0
>
>Howver, using wicontrol -l shows it..
>[inchoate 15:50] ~ >sudo wicontrol -i ndis0 -l
>1 station:
>ap[0]:
>        netname (SSID):                 [ citilan ]
>        BSSID:                          [ 00:40:96:40:47:80 ]
>        Channel:                        [ 4 ]
>        Quality/Signal/Noise [signal]:  [ 72 / 72 / 0 ]
>                                [dBm]:  [ 72 / -77 / -149 ]
>        BSS Beacon Interval [msec]:     [ 0 ]
>        Capinfo:                        [ ]
>        DataRate [Mbps]:                [ 11 ]

wicontrol uses compatibility ioctls and direct RID requests to fetch
data.  ifconfig uses ioctls that are intended to be common across all
devices.  Drivers will need some updates to insure all the common ioctls
are supported.  I don't use the ndis driver so someone else will need to
help out on this.  Folks have promised to help with issues like this.
The good news is that the new ioctls provide significantly more
information than the older ones so it's like that data that was being
discarded because it was not available will finally be accessible.

>Also, when you run ifconfig after setting an SSID it doesn't actually display
>it unless you're associated (not sure if that's a bug).

I'll check; there are two ssids maintained: a desired ssid which is the
one you want to match when associating, and the ssid actually returned
by the ap.  One or the other is returned depending the state of the
interface.

    Sam