Re: strange df output

From: Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 11:35:38 +0100
On Sunday, 12. December 2004 10:06, Divacky Roman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> with recent 6-current I had to reboot my machine (I tried mount my cdrom
> but the process hanged in kernel then everything started to crash).
>
> after panic, fsck was invoken:
> witten ~# fsck /
> ** /dev/ad0s1a (NO WRITE)
> ** Last Mounted on /
> ** Root file system
> ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
> fsck_ufs: cannot alloc 3221471004 bytes for inoinfo
>
> and df shows this:
> witten ~# df
> Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad0s1a    143G    4.5T   -4.4T  3520%    /
>

> is this a known problem? what can I do with it?

Kinda, see this thread:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-November/043670.html

From all of my experience, you can consider this filesystem busted. Try to get
as much data off it as you can (chances are some files are so corrupt that
you'll get a hang when you try to copy them) and take care to preserve file
modes & permissions, then newfs and restore.

It's kinda sad, but right now soft-updates must probably be considered unsafe
for some configurations. The reliability in the case of crashes is about just
as bad as mounting something async... my guess is that it's not really a new
bug in softupdates, but rather effects from modern big ata drives with big
caches and write caching enabled (and no tagged queueing - although IIRC the
ata tags support is disabled in 5.x and -CURRENT anyway).

--
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi_at_freebsd.org