Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern sched_ule.c (fwd)

From: Tony Arcieri <tarcieri_at_atmos.colostate.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:12:22 -0700
On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 05:08:43PM -0600, Jon Noack wrote:

> I thought about trying this last night when I saw that ULE was
> resurrected.  Make sure you also grab kern_sig.c:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/cvs-src/2004-December/036757.html
>
> I can't say whether those 3 files are all you need, just that I would also
> include kern_sig.c... ;-)
>
> Jon

Rebuilt with kern_sig.c from -CURRENT, everything seems fine, as far as I
can tell.  Are there really any substantial changes in kern_sig.c and
kern_switch.c that would affect the stability of 5_STABLE (and does
UMA in 5_STABLE ensure thati proc_fini() won't be called?)

I'd just contend that in the case of my system, 5_STABLE with the 4BSD
scheduler is not stable, or at least the script I'm running is somehow
exhausting system resources to the point that the system becomes unusable,
and this problem isn't exhibited with the ULE scheduler.  Regardless, the
script was causing the 5.3-RELEASE GENERIC kernel to panic, and rendered
the system completely inaccessible with a kernel built from the latest (as of
about 5 days ago) RELENG_5 kernel with the 4BSD scheduler.

So, I'd be very grateful if ULE could be merged into RELENG_5 as it would
dramatically improve the stability of at least my server.  Has anyone else
with a dual amd64 system had problems like this post 5.3-RELEASE?  I know
crashes under heavy MySQL load on dual amd64 systems were a problem before,
but I thought that had been resolved.

Tony Arcieri