Re: 4BSD instability

From: Tony Arcieri <tarcieri_at_atmos.colostate.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:06:16 -0700
On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 03:57:58PM -0500, Jeff Roberson wrote:

> I have cc'd two developers who work quite a lot on scheduler related
> things.  I think it's very important that we discover the source of your
> instability.  Is your machine available to reproduce this scenario and
> gather debuging information?  If not, can you provide us with steps needed
> to reproduce this ourselves?  Can you describe your environment in more
> detail?  What software are you running, is it threaded, how much memory do
> you have, etc?
>
> I'm very pleased that ULE is working well for you, but 4BSD stability is
> very important.  I am actually leaving the country tomorrow, so I'm hoping
> John and/or Julian will pick up this thread and help you debug.

I might be willing to try to duplicate these crashes again, but for now
I'm just happy the machine has mostly stabilized.  I'm guessing I was
just running into a resource exhaustion scenario with 4BSD and the panics
I was running into with the 5.3-RELEASE GENERIC kernel were related to
other problems which were fixed in the RELENG_5 branch.

The RAID is currently rebuilding (I had to use a hacked twe driver to use
the 32-bit 3Ware CLI on amd64) so I'd want to wait for that to finish, at least.

Tony Arcieri