Re: [net80211] if_wi crashed in adhoc mode

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_errno.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:02:31 -0800
Tai-hwa Liang wrote:
> Thinkpad R40, builtin Prism2.5 WLAN mini PCI module. -CURRENT cvsup'ed
> on Dec-14-2004. SCHED_4BSD, without PREEMPTION. The crash never happened
> before recent net80211 update.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
>
>     ifconfig wi0 10.0.0.1 ssid ibsstest channel 3 mediaopt adhoc up
>     #
>     # if the kernel does not panic, proceed with following steps
>     #
>     wicontrol -L    # disaply IBSS information, join the IBSS
>     ping 10.0.0.3    # send something to the IBSS creator
>     #
>     # the kernel should panic after a couple of sendings
>     #

Yech, the wi driver bypasses the net80211 state machine and violates
some assumptions in the net80211 code.  In particular the node table for
neighbor nodes in adhoc mode is now allocated when the BSS is set
running but the wi driver doesn't do it so you blow up.

Unfortunately I've got no time to deal with this or the WEP
complaint(s).  Various folks promised to help with collateral damage
like the wi driver but have vapourized so unless someone deals with this
it'll have to wait until I have free time.

	Sam