Spam Problems

From: Yuval Levy <freebsd-current_at_sfina.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 01:23:23 +0100 (CET)
Hi all

I am not sure if there is awareness of a spam problem with this list.
While spam might be off topic, it is a nuisance to all of us so I allow
myself to post my findings here in the hope that it will help the list
identify and get rid of the problem.

I subscribed to this list with a unique alias (freebsd-current_at_sfina.com)
that I used for this specific list only. I do this with every mailing list
I subscribe to, so to insulate the spam problem should it arise by
diverting the alias to /dev/null. On my mail server all of the alias in
use are collected into a single mailbox for reading.

Recently I received some spams to freebsd-current_at_sfina.com. This happened
after I used that alias to post to the list.

My suspicion is that a spammer is subscribed to this list and uses his
subscription to harvest email addresses. Whenever a user posts a messages,
his email address is published to all the list in the From header. It does
not take much to parse incoming messages from the list to harvest
addresses.

Is anybody else aware of this problem?

Has there been any thought about a possible solution?

Thanks
Yuval