Re: panic: uma_zone_slab is looping

From: Peter Holm <peter_at_holm.cc>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:17:27 +0100
On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 05:15:40PM -0500, Bosko Milekic wrote:

> [...]
>      load). UMA calls uma_zalloc_internal() on the cluster zone as well.
>      This is frame 15.
>
>   6. uma_zalloc_internal() calls uma_zone_slab().  Its job is to find a
>      slab from the cluster zone's backing keg (a separate CLUSTER KEG)
>      and return it.  Unfortunately, memory-request load is high, so it's
>      going to have a difficult time.  The uma_zone_slab() call is frame
>      14.
>
>   7. uma_zone_slab() can't find a locally cached slab (hardly
>      surprising, due to load) and calls slab_zalloc() to actually go to
>      VM and get one.  Before calling, it increments a special "recurse"
>      flag so that we do not recurse on calling into the VM.  This is
>      because the VM itself might call back into UMA when it attempts to
>      allocate vm_map_entries which could cause it to recurse on
>      allocating buckets.  This recurse flag is PER zone, and really only
>      exists to protect the bucket zone. Crazy, crazy shit indeed.
>      Pardon the language.  This is frame 13.
>
>   8. Now slab_zalloc(), called for the CLUSTER zone, determines that the
>      cluster zone (for space efficiency reasons) is in fact an OFFPAGE
>      zone, so it needs to grab a slab header structure from a separate
>      UMA "slab header" zone.  It calls uma_zalloc_internal() from
>      slab_zalloc(), but it calls it on the SLAB HEADER zone.  It passes
>      M_WAITOK down to it, but for some reason IT returns NULL and the
>      failure is propagated back up which causes the uma_zone_slab() to
>      keep looping.  Go back to step 7.
>
>   This is the infinite loop 7 -> 8 -> 7 -> 8 -> ...  which you seem to
>   have caught.
>
>   The question now is why does the uma_zalloc_internal() fail on the
>   SLAB HEADER zone, even though it is called with M_WAITOK.
>   Unfortunately, your stack trace does not provide enough depth to be
>   able to continue an accurate deductive analysis from this point on
>   (you would need to sprinkle MORE KASSERTs).
>
>   However, here are some hypotheses.
>
>   The uma_zalloc_internal() which ends up getting called also ends up
>   calling uma_zone_slab(), but uma_zone_slab() eventually fails (this is
>   a fact, this is the only reason that the uma_zalloc_internal() could
>   in turn fail for the SLAB HEADER zone, which doesn't have an init or a
>   ctor).
>
>   So why does the uma_zone_slab() fail with M_WAITOK on the slab header
>   zone?  Possibilities:
>
>   1. The recurse flag is at some point determined non-zero FOR THE SLAB
>      HEADER backing keg.  If the VM ends up getting called from the
>      subsequent slab_zalloc() and ends up calling back into UMA for
>      whatever allocations, and "whatever allocations" are also
>      potentially offpage, and a slab header is ALSO required, then we
>      could also be recursing on the slab header zone from VM, so this
>      could cause the failure.
>
>      if (keg->uk_flags & UMA_ZFLAG_INTERNAL && keg->uk_recurse != 0) {
> 	 /* ADD PRINTF HERE */
> 	 printf("This zone: %s, forced fail due to recurse non-null",

The printf didn't really fly. It seems to be called early in
boot:

ck_flags(0,0,c07e8890,882) at _mtx_lock_flags+0x24
uma_zalloc_internal(c09284a0,c0c20c84,2) at
uma_zalloc_internal+0x2d
uma_zcreate(c07e8b1e,40,0,0,0,0,3,2000) at uma_zcreate+0x57
uma_startup(c103d000,c103d000,28000,c0c20d78,ff00000) at
uma_startup+0x2ae
vm_page_startup(c1065000,c0c20d98,c05ec857,0,c08525d0) at
vm_page_startup+0x109
vm_mem_init(0,c08525d0,c1ec00,c1e000,c28000) at vm_mem_init+0x13
mi_startup() at mi_startup+0xb3
begin() at begin+0x2c

so I just sprinkled some more asserts. I'm trying to see if I can
provoke this problem more consistently, based on your analysis.
It usually takes me a day or two of testing to get there.

--
Peter Holm