an accidental way to pull the plug

From: Chuck Robey <chuckr_at_chuckr.org>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 17:04:50 -0500 (EST)
I got a little too fast just now, and did something that I shouldn't have
done, but what's interesting is, FreeBSD decided to pull the plug and
instantly reboot, which is usually something to be regarded as
pathological, so I am letting you folks know.  I haven't analyzed exactly
what happened to cause it, actually.

Anyhow, I have been using FreeBSD as a fine platform for a Free database I
am constructing for a buddy of mine who has a video rental store.  The
database, which was active at the time (the app is nearly complete) is
made with Python, gtk, pygtk (obviously) and the Sleepycat database.  I
called those folks up and got the opinion that, as long as I didn't try to
distribute the software, the way I'm handling it (for free) it generally
falls under their free license, so I'm ok on that.

Anyhow, I was talking screen dump pictures of the 6 data entry screens, in
X11, using xv to grab the windows.  I got a bit confused with mouse
clicks, and actually asked it to do a grab while another grab was in delay
wait (it has a timer delay, which I set to 5 seconds).  Result: reboot,
instant.

I think that's it, although I will try to answer any questions.  If you
folks are all too tied up with your own projects, it won't bother me, I'm
only trying to be conscientious about things.

Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr_at_chuckr.org   | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary (on the wall at my old fraternity,
Signa Phi Nothing).