Re: Reboot instead of debugger/dump from X11? (Re: an accidental way to pull the plug)

From: Eric Anholt <eta_at_lclark.edu>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 13:55:21 -0800
On Sat, 2004-12-25 at 21:40 +0000, Robert Watson wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Dec 2004, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > I got a little too fast just now, and did something that I shouldn't
> > have done, but what's interesting is, FreeBSD decided to pull the plug
> > and instantly reboot, which is usually something to be regarded as
> > pathological, so I am letting you folks know.  I haven't analyzed
> > exactly what happened to cause it, actually.
>
> With the recent 802.11 panic I posted about a bit earlier, I saw something
> rather odd: when the panic took place on the normal text console, the
> system dropped to the debugger.  However, when it took place with X11
> running, I got an "instant reboot" -- no dump, etc.  So something odd is
> happening during even normal failure modes when X11 is running for me.  I
> wonder if anyone else is seeing this?
>
> Robert N M Watson             FreeBSD Core Team, TrustedBSD Projects
> robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research

I've been having mysterious reboots on my amd64 when using gdb for just
about anything, and I'm always in X.  I'm supposed to be dropping to
debugger on panic, but that's obviously not happening.  I've been
waiting for a good time (hah) to reproduce it in the console to see if
it's X related, but haven't yet.

--
Eric Anholt                                eta_at_lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt_at_FreeBSD.org