Re: Problem with 802.11 ad hoc with WEP: NULL pointer dereference

From: Alexandre \ <Alex.Kovalenko_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 23:01:55 -0500
On Sat, 2004-12-25 at 20:29 +0000, Robert Watson wrote:
> I recently upgraded a kernel on my notebook to Dec 23.  I don't have the
> date of the previous kernel on-hand, but I suspect it was late November
> from before I was on travel.  I have a local configuration I sometimes use
> with adhoc 802.11 on a prism card using WEP, using a FreeBSD notebook as a
> proxy to reach a wired network.  The other system is a Mac OS X notebook.
> As of the upgrade, I get a kernel page fault on the FreeBSD system
> whenever I attempt to use the Mac OS X box with wireless.  In fact,
> booting the Mac OS X box causes the FreeBSD box to panic, presumably as
> the Mac OS X box says "Hi, I'm here!".  The panic is a NULL pointer
> derefernece in ieee80211_find_rxnode().  I don't have the complete trap
> message due to not having a serial console for the box, but below is some
> core information.  This is highly reproduceable; please let me know if
> more information is needed.
>
> Robert N M Watson             FreeBSD Core Team, TrustedBSD Projects
> robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research

If you are after quick-and-dirty workaround, you can use NDIS wrapper
with your card -- I just checked this setup on my (non-prism)
NDIS-wrapped card and my FreeBSD laptop was just happy talking to my
iBook over adhoc network. I know that it is not a solution, but if you
need connectivity now it just might get you over the hump.
--
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko (Олександр Коваленко)