Re: FreeBsd as internet router

From: Skylar Thompson <skylar_at_cs.earlham.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:53:14 -0600
Ong Beng Hui wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Looking thru the FreeBSD handbook...
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html
>
> and Advanced Networking...
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/advanced-networking.html
>

> Under Building a Router, it said...
>
> "Even when FreeBSD is configured in this way, it does not completely
> comply with the Internet standard requirements for routers. It comes
> close enough for ordinary use, however."
>
> Could someone advise, in what way FreeBSD doesn't comply with Internet
> standard requirements for routers ? Which internet standard it might be
> referencing to.

The first thing that comes to mind is that FreeBSD doesn't pass on
network broadcast packets by default. This violates RFC1812
<ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc1812.txt>, which mandates that
subnet broadcast packets must be passed on as specified in STD3
<ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/std/std3.txt>. This actually is no
longer good practice, so I'd say it's more prudence than an outright
design flaw that FreeBSD doesn't comply with this.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar_at_cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/